The December 2020 update from the Google Ads Research and Insights team finds:
- Hot products this holiday season - based on searches - included air fryers, mixers and laptops.
- Also frequently searched for were:
- "stocking stuffer ideas" (+70% vs. 2019)
- "last minute diy gifts" (+ 400%)
- "drive through Christmas lights" (+400%)
- "what is the cheapest" (+50%)
- cooking holiday meals at home ("turkey gravy recipe" +100%)
- shipping gifts (+90%)
- Christmas movies (+60%)
The survey also found:
- 57% of survey respondents said they're shopping online more this holiday season.
- 66% of holiday shoppers browsed for gift ideas online, not in stores.
- Respondents reported buying for the first time more things like groceries and toiletries for themselves online.
- 56% reported shopping more at local small businesses.
- From 1Q2020 to 2Q2020 there was a more than 70% increase in US viewers renting movies on streaming services, and a more than 60% increase in digital movie purchases.
What businesses are doing
- 96% of advertisers believe the pandemic will cause long-term changes to advertising: more focus on campaign effectiveness, more investment in digital.
- Only 35% of C-level executives said they're confident of being able to influence peers and drive changes - down from 55% in 2019.
- Digital marketing has become more important for reaching young consumers who are heavy users of social media.
Comment: Yet one more justification for moving more ad spend to digital. (See also the Related Articles, below.)