Adobe Analytics has released results of a survey into the audio-streaming habits of 1,008 adult US podcast listeners, augmented by Comscore data from 193M unique visits to US mobile apps per month between January 2018 and May 2019.
- Podcast mobile app usage has increased by 60% since January 2018.
- 25% of current podcast listeners first began listening to podcasts in the past 6 months.
- 45% said they plan to listen to more podcasts in future.
- Sources of podcast program discovery:
- Online blogs and articles 41%
- Friends 24%
- Within an app 16%
- Family 14%
- Colleagues 4%
- Other 3%
- 72% of listeners say quality of podcasts is increasing, vs. 6% decreasing
- Millennials are the largest listener base: nearly 1 in 3 listens to 5 or more podcasts per week.
- 67% of Gen Z said they plan to listen to more podcasts next year.
- When people listen to podcasts:
- While commuting to work or working 52%
- In the car 42%
- On airplanes 18%
- On vacation 16%
- At the gym 16%
- Podcasts may be preferred over broadcast radio because on-demand and portable.
- Preferred genres (top 4):
- Comedy/humor 46%
- Educational 28%
- History 27%
- True crime/crime documentary 26%
- Preferred length: under one hour
Podcasts and advertising:
- 72% of listeners surveyed said they have heard an ad while listening to a podcast.
- 60% said they've searched for a product or service after hearing an ad on a podcast.
- 25% said they have bought a product/service discovered through a podcast ad.
- 33% said they find podcast ads more engaging than ads in other formats.
- 40% said they find podcast ads less intrusive than other types of ads.
- But 58% said they have skipped through podcast ads.
- Note small sample size (1,008).
- Re demographics, we're told only that sample population is skewed toward Millennials, followed by Gen Z. We don't know anything about distributions by sex, household income, ethnicity, language, region, education, etc., etc.
- Remember people tend to tell survey-takers what they think they want to hear; numbers re advertising especially may be over-optimistic.
- And we're told nothing about what kinds of products/services were being advertised on what type of podcast.
- Intriguing findings, but I believe a deeper research dive is needed before investing significantly in podcast ads.
Comments on 60% of podcast listeners search for a product/service after hearing an ad