E-commerce software company Monetate has published an interview with Conversion Rate Optimization (CRO) practitioner Danielle Schwolow of Florida-based digital agency Multiplica US on the subject of Conversion Rate Optimization and the Travel Industry.
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) is making it easier for digital travel marketers to "provide exceptional experiences...and win bookings with the least spend."
- CRO for travel requires a "series of ever-evolving experiments" run in parallel across device types.
- Travel CRO differs from that for retail in that customers have to consider and make multiple decisions - when, where, what to do, etc. - making trip planning and booking a complex and lengthy process.
- Retargeting -e.g., storing a user's search history to avoid having to go back to Square One - can produce double-digit improvement in clickthrough rate.
- Using AI to personalize content in real time is "pretty cool stuff."
- Effective personalization for CRO requires a strong testing strategy that works with your brand and marketing team.
- Clunky end-of-funnel checkout processes - too many form fields to create account, etc. - result in cart abandonment.
- Marketers should be able to make simple ad/website changes (text, colors, etc.) themselves without involvement of creative or development people.
- Multi-touch retargeting makes it easier for users to engage with a product with fewer clicks.
- In testing, always have a specific goal, and a KPI to measure success.
- Biggest travel CRO challenges:
- Lack of data
- Poor data
- Lack of clear strategy
- Fragmented marketing
- Avoiding overextending resources
For further insights into the application of Artificial Intelligence to Web Content Management and Digital Experience Platforms, see the Gartner report Applying AI to WCM and DXP - Key Use Cases.