Two trends are converging in search:
- Online statistics portal Statista reports that 52% of global Internet traffic comes from mobile devices.
- Clickstream data analysts Jumpshot report that in June 2019 only 38% of mobile searches produced clicks on organic SERPs, while 11% of searches resulted in clicks on ads.
Taken together, these trends are putting a lot of pressure on agencies and companies that are trying to get clickthroughs to websites through SEO.
Three actions of Google underlying these trends are:
- Increasing proliferation of Featured Snippets that provide information with no need for the user to click through to a website
- Serving up in search results of more links to websites it owns: Google Maps, YouTube, Google My Business
- Use of artificial intelligence and machine learning to deliver Google Ads that draw more clicks
If these trends continue, Google is going to be taking in a lot more revenue from Google Ads. And mobile SEO is going to get a lot tougher.