This article in eHotelier by Jennifer Conneely for currency converters DCC Forum reports the results of a survey of UK holidaymakers conducted by CensusWide.
- Millennials see their holidays as an opportunity to take photos for their social-media accounts.
- 20% said that one of the first things they do when reaching a travel destination is update their Facebook status or post a selfie on Instagram.
- 31% said they always head for the nearest swimming pool.
- 24% said they always head for the nearest bar.
- Regarding making payments while traveling abroad:
- 25% of Millennials think that carrying currency on holidays makes them more likely to be the victim of a crime.
- 45% worry about leaving lots of cash in their hotel room.
- 35% said they take only the bare minimum of foreign currency with them on holiday.
- Just over 50% reported making payments by credit or debit card while on holiday.
- Almost 10% reported making a "contactless payment" while on holiday in the past 12 months.
- 5% reported making a mobile payment via a service like Android or Apple Pay.
- Only 29% reported checking the fees charged by their payment-solution provider for payments made abroad.
Although this is an obvious pitch for hotels to use DCC currency-conversion services to make their Millennial guests happy, the data are interesting. Like: if you want Millennials to stay at your hotel, make sure you have a pool and a bar, as well as an easy way to provide local currency for them to spend with you, as Millennials may not have brought much with them.