A new report by Trip.com for WTTC suggests that international travel in general will grow strongly in 2022, but with significant differences vs. travel in the pre-pandemic era.
- Younger demographics will be the first to return to international travel.
- Stays will be longer.
- Fee-free cancellations and health/safety checks will be important drivers of destination/accommodation/activities choices.
- Travelers will seek secondary destinations away from traditional hotspots - a trend that will positively impact local communities.
- Outdoor destinations and activities will predominate in at least the first half of 2022.
- Travelers will be looking for sustainable products and services.
- 70% say they intend to spend more than they did in 2019, resulting in year-on-year spend growth of 9.3% in 2021 followed by a further 93.8% in 2022.
Based on these research findings, WTTC predicts that the contribution of travel and tourism to global GDP will rise by 30.7% in 2021 and by a further 31.7% in 2022.