Expedia's 2018 Year in Review Report released this week reveals top travel trends for Americans in 2018:
- Thailand: Chiang Mai
- Inverness, Belfast
- Malta: Valetta
- Alaska: Kenai, Kodiak
- Brisbane, Perth
- Ecuador: Cuenca
- Tentalow use up 135% (It's pretty much what it sounds like - see tentalow definition here.)
- Chalets up 85%
- Villas up 45%+
- Agritourism properties up 40%+
- Houseboats up 35%+
Activities and experiences:
- Observation decks
- Architectural landmarks: Eiffel Tower, Colosseum, etc.
- Tours and sightseeing, including hop-on-hop-off bus tours in cities
- Shopping and culinary experiences
Comment: actionable items
- For destinations: report reveals some up-and-coming competitors from which you may need to defend market share, especially if you're offering tired, old experiences.
- Accommodations: suspect tentalow increase is from a very small base; I'd watch that trend for another year before jumping in, especially in destinations not warm/dry. Agritourism and houseboats look worth investigating - both sound like good Airbnb possibilities, maybe on commercial scale later if they take off.
- Activities and experiences: if your destination is lacking in observation decks and architectural landmarks, work smarter on tours, shopping, dining; get visitors close to the locals for culture, souvenirs, food.