Hospitality giant Marriott International (NASDAQ MAR) is promoting "skip-gen" or "gramping" travel to several of its destinations for summer 2019.
Here's the basic pitch:
"Multi-generational travel has been gaining popularity in recent years, and its latest iteration is on the rise as families continue to find new ways to create experiences and memories together. The trend of “skip-gen” travel - or more recently called “gramping” - focuses on grandparents bonding with grandchildren, without the presence of parents. Picking the right kind of vacation for playful kids and baby boomers may seem challenging, but it doesn’t have to be."
Likely some of the reasons Marriott finds this to be a market of good potential are:
- Grandparents tend to have more time and money on their hands, don't need to stay connected to work while on vacation.
- A trip with grandparents gives children a holiday from parents, and parents a holiday from them.
- Today's trend away from collecting loot to collecting experiences makes a trip with grandparents a nice gift for a grandchild's birthday, graduation, etc.
Compatibility and enjoyability for both seniors and children is a serious concern in choosing a destination for a skip-gen trip, and it looks like Marriott has given this issue careful consideration: from its inventory of 5700+ hotels in 110 countries, Marriott has chosen these 7 cities, hotels and nearby attractions to feature in the skip-gen promotion:
- NYC: New York Marriott Downtown - Statue of Liberty Museum, Battery Park, Wall Street, 9/11 Memorial, Brookfield Place
- Boston: Renaissance Boston Waterfront - Children's Museum, Institute of Contemporary Art, Rose Kennedy Greenway, Freedom Trail, Duck Tours, Fenway Park
- Atlanta: Aloft Atlanta Downtown - CNN Studios, Georgia Aquarium, Centennial Olympic Park, Atlanta Zoo, High Museum of Art
- Seattle: Westin Seattle - Space Neeedle, Chihuly Garden, Pike Place Market, Great Wheel, Muppets (July), Google campus
- DC: Gaylord National Resort Gaylord, MD - Resort activities
- Vancouver BC Canada: JW Marriott Parq Vancouver - Outdoor activities, restaurants, entertainment
- Lima Peru: AC Hotel Lima Miraflores - Recommended for "baby boomers who may be retired and have more time to take a far-flung trip with their grandchildren" - Kennedy Park, Indigenous Market, LarcoMar.
Marriott didn't just pick those destinations for this target market by throwing darts at a map. If you have family-suitable tourism product in one of them, you should definitely be promoting skip-gen trips to all demographic groups involved: Boomers, 18-45s, under 18s.